Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Dragon Back

Last weekend was unique since all my weekend warrior friends were scattered around having their own respective races. Those who had emerged victorious in the ultimate endurance trail challenge of TNF 100k Duo, I would like to re-express my heartiest congratulations to each one of them. Though I have said it before that I did not have a slightest doubt that all of them would cross the finishing line, the fact that some of them thought of throwing the towel just shows the difficulty level of the race.

My congratulations as well to those who dare to accept the challenge to be the King of the Mountain by cranking their 2 wheels 54km up to Cameron Highland. Crazy? You tell me but again they earned the right to be the King that day. And those participating in the Nike 10k Run (ramai awek tapi sungguh heran Ijam x nak masuk) and HooHaa run or Eco-Challenge (tak ramai awek tapi Ijam masuk!), thumbs up for all especially those who had their PBs.

As for myself, though I had not participated in any races, I had my own personal challenge as well. Acknowledging that lot and lot of works need to be done to strengthen the legs in cranking my “Merry Please Go Fast”, I accepted the lambong from another cyclist friend to join a 50 km-ish ride with the Bkt Jelutong Cyclists (BJC) plying the GCE (Guthrie Corridor Expressway), so I assumed. Only later when I tried to lambong Shuk to join the ride that I knew that the plan was to take the undulating roads of Shah Alam- Puncak Alam/Batu Arang and in between to pass the “Dragon Back”. I first heard of this “Dragon Back” from a cyclist relative. Though I understand that it is not comparable to Perez, Genting Sempah and those multi hills of the Langat/NS border, it did provide a tough challenge for newbies. In the hope that there would be others in the group that are of the same level as myself (assuming that all the hardcores would take a day’s rest before attempting the KOM race the next day), I dared myself to be at the gathering point Saturday morning. One by one the other cyclists appeared and it was obvious that I was one of the youngest among these peeps (age range I guess from early 40s to late 40s) but kid you not, these guys are regular cyclists (at least compared to me) and later showed that most of them had stronger legs in pedaling their carbon frame/fancy sets.

So about 15 of us were off around 7.45am from BJ and the undulating stretches started soon after we exited from BJ. Since I was not familiar with the route, I tried to put myself in the middle pack for not wanting to be left behind alone. I was comforted with the fact that about 5 other older riders maintained a slower pace than mine. After about 8kms we then exited from the main Shah Alam – Puncak Alam road and turned to meet the Dragon. There is no turning back for me. I tried to maintain the right cadence to maintain the momentum of passing the first hill, which looked like a wall from below. It was a short climb but steep. I need to push myself very hard by resorting to stand pedaling and by the time I reached the peak, I was almost breathless, due to the climb and the view on top of the first hill. Ammah! The Dragon had just introduced me to the first hill and there was another wall that I need to climb in front of me and another. All in all there were 4 inclines, all in straight road, which formed the so called Dragon Back. I managed to get a picture of some part of the Dragon Back from the internet and I believe that the shot was taken from the peak of the first hill.



On top of the First Hill


After passing the Dragon Back we turned to another main road leading to Puncak Alam and made Petronas Puncak Alam as our first re-grouping point. There was a bit of incident before turning to the petrol station when I had my third fall from the day I used the clipless shoes. Malu bang jatuh beskal macam nangka busuk hahaha.

Mamils Resting after Conquering the Dragon Back

After quite a long rest waiting for the last 2 riders of the group (one guy needed to stop and rest after tackling 2 of the hills of the Dragon Back), we proceeded to the direction of Paya Jaras, Sg Buloh via Bandar Saujana Impian. At Paya Jaras the group splitted to 2, one going back to Bkt Jelutong via GCE and the other stronger group decided to proceed to Kuang. Going back to Bkt Jelutong was quit a lonely affair for me being the sole rider in the middle under the scorching Saturday morning sun. I also decided to ditch the breakfast re-grouping at R&R GCE and proceeded back alone to Bkt Jelutong. All in all the distance covered was 53km. The distance was just 5km more than the last ride but it was a progress for me with the Dragon Back conquered. The experience proves that apart from stamina you really need a strong legs in cycling. This week I need to squeeze in a riding session but may not be able to do group ride due to other commitments.

I will skip Mizuno run this weekend and for those who run, I wish you guys all the best.

24 comments:

  1. buat perangai Nik - komen dulu, pastu baca :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. syah, tak aci !!!

    wah ziff, congrats, you are slowly improving .. ada harapan maju ke depan ni .. you are on the right track, follow your own pace! good one, good one !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, Syah..tahniah #1. Anda mmg King Avatar!

    Kak June - Baru cuba2 ajer Kak June. Sesekali cycling nie best gak, different challenge. Lagi pun dan ter ngada-ngada klik kat Powerman tu hahaha. Nanti rumah Ian kak june dtg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ziff, your cycling cadence dah top form. Good training for powerman. It's going to be tough as well. 4hrs + under the hot sun. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrer! Terrer!!
    Tapi takut lah very soon RBU jadi CBU pulak, kesian aku lari sorang-sorang....

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats ziff..snail pace no more:)

    deo ko mana pernah lari sorang-sorang, kan selalu lari dgn pace cheetah..hi hi

    ReplyDelete
  7. ziff, this wkend kak june balik taiping laa so miss Ian's do .. takpe another time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kash, thanks but I think my cadence bit weak on incline, could feel the leg not strong enough to push the pedal. I clicked the Sprint category ajer :D

    Deo, RBU jadi CBU tu termasuk kau sekali tu hehehe.(lambong gak nie). No worry bro, i think I am a runner first. This Friday nite jom LSD :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ray, aku tersgt seram dgn kepantasan team badut.....dpt tempias ajer jadik ler hehe. Bila nak beli beskal ni?

    Kak June - I c. X per insyaallah another time :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done bro. I know dragon hill when run it during the Penembak klang 15k earlier this year. Not easy to conquer but you made it man. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pergh! CBU is hitting Shah Alam now. Weh! Deo ni memandai je bagi nama. Complete Build-up eh? I thought it's Slowly Building up (SBU)? Asal jangan CKD sudah! Haha.

    I never been to Dragon Back. Hope you can be the host one day I want to cycle there. Great job with the progress bro. That's an awesome achievement. Keep it up ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good stuff ziff! Ready for pawarmeng already :)

    Damn, I need need riding lessons soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. first sekali...memang betul ckap kau, amoi takde aku masuk jugak eco challenge tu...aku geng dgn kenya la..hak, hak..

    2nd - gambar kau macho la dgn tight...fuh bertuah bini!!! tu gambar lepas jatuh ke, sebelum jatuh tu..?

    3rd - betul cakap zack yui, bukit tu mcm pernah aku tengok, dia cakap penembak klang baru aku perasan...gila weh bukit tu!!!

    tahniah...lari dah ok dah, bike pun dah ok dah...dan ready dah tu...jeng, jeng..

    ReplyDelete
  14. peh ni tinggal la aku lari sorang2 :P

    tgk gmbr je dah seram, tp kalu kaki kuat peh ni setakat kayuh naik genting takde hal kot? hehe..

    ape pun all the best! hope to have a roadbike soon..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zack - aku pun dah rasa2 ni kot bukit bukau yg penembak klang 15k tu pasal aku ada nampak sign board direction ke kelab tu kat junction main road. Yg first hill tu yg masak di buatnya nak panjat.

    Diket - aku rasa kau sebagai King of Mountain, dragon back tu macam warm-up session ajer kot hehe. Nak tukar angin boleh ajer bro :D. Bila ler agaknya aku berani nak attempt Perez?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yim - jom kita lambong Diket organise one ride session. Ian dah lambong dah. Perez?? serammm plak hehehe.

    Ijam - hahaha, bagus kau geng dgn kenya tu, berdesup kau dpt tempias dia org ajer. Gambar tu dah lepas jatuh...hahaha, bro2 otai tu sumer senyum sumbing ajer tgk mamat newbie jatuh beskal. Ready apa yer? Ready nak kene mandi lumpur dgn Team Badut ker kat Genting? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Che - kau dah otai dgn MTB, sure berdesup dpt road bike tu :D. Larian bersama2 kawan insyallah akan diteruskan.....kita kan RBU :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh abang Diket. Tulun lah kami, kasihan lah kami. Tulun lah kami wat satu sesi. Dah lah tak cukup treneng, dah lah terklik pawarmeng, tulunnnn wahai King Avatar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diket- dah ramai lambong nie bro! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ziff,
    Nasib tak terclick basikal for sale kat Der Pacemaker. Ahaks!

    Diket,
    CKD Ijam dah buat dah kat Newton hari tu, knock down... jgn marah aa Ijam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deo, apa salahnya kalau terklik tu....Ray pun nak klik tu hehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. i pun tak pernah try dragonback lagi. well done ziff!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jaja. For any KOM finisher, dragonback is kacang puteh :D. I plak nak cuba Peres, kene tunggu Diket organise

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aku nak komen pun dah rasa segan.. komen aku dah basi daaa...

    ReplyDelete