Sunday, March 28, 2010

Energizer Run 2010

ENR is the second race i entered this year after the NB Pacesetters 20k in January. Though if we just round off 21.1km to the nearest tens, the answer would be 20k but NB Pacesetters 20k was not technically a 1/2 marathon run (whats more with the 19.4km distance recorded via GPS by some runners). Because of that I treat ENR as my maiden 1/2 marathon attempt.

As per my previous post, my principal target was to enjoy and complete the run injury free. That means a slow and steady run all the way (i can't run fast anyway :)). With that in mind I found that my pre-race jitters were minimal as the pressure of recording any PB is irrelevant.

I was supposed to have TT with the other bloggers i.e. Che, Yim and Rayzeef (another Razif) but this time around my race day prep was a bit hire wire (last minute thingy) and though Cyberjaya is not my playground, I proceeded anyway to find parking area p7 without any map guidance. After a few circles of unintended sight seeing, I finally parked at the StreetMall (only then i knew it was opposite P7!). I have to extend my apology to Che, Yim and Rayzeef for a DNS to the TT.
On the race itself, I don't think there is any special report that I could dashed here. Same story, from gun off tried to maintain a slow steady pace, which also mean ignoring the other runners. The first 10km was quite OK with no excessive tiredness or injury to be concerned of. I stopped and re-hydrate at every water station where by KM15, I felt a bit bloated and started to feel the light stiches at the right side (a case of too much re-hydration possibly?). Luckily the stiches went away after a while by slowing further my pace.
At that point i think a finishing time of 2hr 30 min was achieveable if i continue running with a slower pace all the way to the finishing line. This is where I started to appreciate the importance of adequate distance makers (especially the route is totally alien to you), which sadly were apparently lacking last night. Without knowing the remaining distance I started to, rather than reduce, increase my pace up to (later i think around) KM18, where I succumbed to the mental challenge of running with no ending sight in my mind map. I spent quite substantial/precious time walking in the last 2km, which I should at least do baby steps (like i did in NB 20km) until to the finishing line.
My spirit was lifted a bit when i started to hear the drum beats and made the effort to do the final for slightly less than 1km run to the finishing line. Result - 2hr 46 mins. Am I happy? The answer is yes. Happy that I completed my maiden 1/2 injury free and finally officially earning my cap as a snail pace 1/2 marathoner. Would the once UNTHINKABLE feat of doing full one day come to my mind? I think you can guess the answer :)
Note - It was an awsome sight watching the full marathoners completing the challenge. Also had the pleasure of having an early morning supper with the blue calves gang at the StreetMall after the run. If anybody knows someone is selling his bib for Sundown 1/2, please tell me :)

17 comments:

  1. Ziff congrats on completing your very 1st HM, i was lost in Cyberjaya too before meeting the Musketeers gang (Che and Yimster) at P7 - Saba restaurant..he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ziff nadia here. congratulatons on your first half marathon. i was totally elated when i first completed mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ziff - you did very well! my half in penang bridge 08 was 3 hours plus hahaha, and suffered like kok!

    great day lepak-ing with friends malam tu kan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ziff, u did great for a maiden half marathon! here's to many, many HM to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats for finishing another great run. good to finally meet u and the chit chat during supper was fun rite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Razif!
    Finally you did it!
    Full marathon attempt will be coming up soon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations bro. Great achievement. More half mara to come. Enjoy while you can. Nice meeting you bro. Appreciate your time hanging out for late supper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good one bro! keep it coming. we finish about the same lah that nite. sorry x dapat lepak after the run. next time ya? promise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rayzeef - Congrat to u too! Insyaallah next time we can have TT togeder2.

    Nadia - Thanks a lot. U are rite, the feeling of finishing the maiden run is great. Hope to see u at the coming POS 7 :)

    Syah - TQ. At least I didnt suffer the ITB during the run, like u did during your maiden 1/2 at Penang rite? Congrats for your 3rd full that nite. I enjoyed the late supper with u guys :)

    Syed - Yes, am looking forward for more 1/2 and I wish u the best in advance for your maiden Full in SCKLIM this June. U will do just fine, with a great timing too :)

    Bro Shuk - Nice meeting and lepaking with u too. The avatar calves brothers mmg awesome :)

    Nik - Mmg inspired tgk korang yg buat Full. There will b 2 to choose from at the end of this year. BTW Congrats on your 3rd full with a PB too!

    Bro Diket - at last we met that nite and I had a good time lepaking with u guys. Dpt separuh blue calves kau tu pun aku dah happy habis hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Che - Next time we arrange another lepak session. Jom buat full kat PBIM :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats Ziff. Nice to see you at the run!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey hey, another feather in da cap. no worries on the meetup, there would be plenty more to come! Full? never say never bro ... one fine day lah :)

    Jom ziff, sundown half!!! And yeshhh PBIM full muahahaha ... I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ziff - a good timing for your maiden lah ... plus u didn't look tired during the makan2 session that mrng at all .... :) ... good job bro. Let's swim this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. full eh? im in the same boat with razeef. still. go ahead! all the best gitu. :P *even the thought scares me* not yet la i think.

    plus, wanna do more adventure race la.. nape ek kurang this year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kash- Thanks. Nice meeting u at the run and u did look visibly happy that nite. Congrats again for your 9th!

    Yim - Will run sundown 1/2 kalau dpt bib hehe. PBIM?? hehehe.....i follow u lah...

    Ian - Thanks. I can't say that I suffered in that run. The strategy to run safe did work but timing cukup2 makan ajer. BTW i didnt look tired during supper becoz had much longer rest after the run compared to u guys. See u this weekend :)

    Che - hehe..nak racun kau buat Full. Hujung tahun sempat lagi kot training. I never join adventure race, sound very2 interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ziff, cubalah dptkan half tuk sundown tuh. we'll be cheering for kash the very next morning for this superwoman/supermom/superbeing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yim, i asked Ronnie to post in his blog. Hopefully there will be taker lah. really want to join sundown, dont want to miss the fun

    ReplyDelete