Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Terlenggang Tak Tertanggung Kangkung - Newton 25km Challenge 2010

Newton 25km Challenge 2010 Kuala Lumpur. Yeah, before the day of the run I knew from other RBUs that the route has ammah hill, as per the picture below posted by Yim in his blog.


That was only one “ammah” hill in the picture so I thought I might just attempt to run it halfway and walk until to the top and then tackle all the other hills with a snail pace and would end up Ok and finished the run within 3 ½ hour. Sound reasonable and far from being ambitious right?

The problem is that would only qualify as a wishful thinking for a snail pace runner who did not manage to run a single LSD exceeding 16km for a period of 3 months (I did 2 run which may qualify to be categorized as minimal LSD training for ½ marathon during that period). But the other bigger problem is, as far as I am concerned, almost all hills along the route were of “ammah” and “appah” standard. True, no kidding! And that is the essence of what I have experienced in the Newton Challenge (not race ok).

That Sunday I reached the venue around 5.30 am. I went straight to the mosque and met Tok Ketua Poco-poco Shuk. Actually it is very convenient for muslim runners if the race venue is near a mosque. Rayzeef and Zaki arrived at the mosque not long after that. Later I met Nik, Det and Bahri (Putrajaya Ramadhan Friday Night riding gang) inside the mosque and bumped into Syah, Ijam and KA at the starting point.

As planned I decided to run with a snail aka lenggang kangkung pace with Zaki’s company. Ijam has decided with his alter ego Ronald McIjam left at home, he could do the ‘rempit’ pace, leaving me and Zaki behind :D At the early stage the pace was Ok for me in tackling the hills and the funny thing is once I saw a hill which looked quite menacing, I would say “yeah, this is the “ammah” hill. The problem is I kept telling myself the same thing EACH time I reached ANY hills. And what is termed as “ammah” by Yim was actually “appah” standard for me hahahaha.


The earlier ammah hills were still Ok with a snail pace. Later part dah jadi muka serigala!

So to cut the story short, I lost steam as early as at KM10 and though I asked Zaki to ‘tarik’ me, I just could not maintain the same pace unless I wanted to bonk early. So after that point and starting from KM11, I mostly walked uphill and jogged downhill under the “ammah” heat. Mentally and physically I felt lethargic. I saw other RBUs, Ian, Syah, Ijam, Yim, Deo, Shuk, KA, Nik and Zaki all running strong at the other side of the road and “me?... is just a singer in a long haired rock and roll band” (ehh, apa hal lirik lagu Bon Jovi muncul kat sini??).

My target of finishing within 3 ½ hour was slipping by each KMs after KM20. As far as I was concerned I just aiming to finish the run and could not care less about the timing. Legs felt heavy like timber logs and the calves felt stiff under the compression socks. I just could not run anymore after KM21 save for a brief 100 meter jog to the finishing line.

Did I regret participating in this Newton Challenge? Not a single beat! I think I had done quite a number of races that I would no longer sulked for being slow or missing my personal target (though this is the first time I did not manage to finish within the given qualifying time). Injury wise, I could say that I did not suffer any ‘real injury’ during and after the run save for some soreness at my SCKLM’s injured right knee (running with my knee guard did help keeping the issue at bay).

Looking forward, the Newton Challenge 25km 2010 was the kick start that I was seeking for my next 3 primary challenges, Genting Trail Blazer, the Sprint category of Powerman 2010 and Singapore Standard Chartered 2010 full marathon.

Lets rock and roll guys!

30 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm the first one to comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok baru comment properly.

    Ziff, you were with Ijam at the start line ek, how come I did not see you and Zaki? Tapi waktu the first time I saw both of you before the first u-turn, I was like "syoknya diorang ni pace cenggini..." like you both are having your own sweet time.

    Well done for finishing the race, err... challenge. And good luck for Genting TB, Powerman and Singapore. PBIM tak join ke bro? Oh, take care of the knee too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. If u want to kaotim SG marathon with a smile, u must do your LSD run training at this Newton route.
    Tiap2 minggu jumpa ammah n appah, baru la power bro!
    Apa2 pun, saya redha dgn #3 je kali ni (i'll be back, Deo!)
    Hahaha... congrats for finishing the challenge.
    Lenggang kangkung gaya siput mmg sempoi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job bro. It takes a lot just being able to accomplish and finish this ammah and appah hills! you did good despite much trainings. like nik said, time to shift it back into gear for penang and singapore and everything else in between. it can only get better, if you put your mind and focus onto it :)

    ammah and appah route is indeed a good training ground. conquer them hills and nothing will stand in your way. now you know why i've done these killer hills 4 times already :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jom LSD lagi at this ammah appah hills. The only thing is that the route is quite busy even on Saturday and Sunday mornings laa... itu belum campur faktor anjing lagi...

    ReplyDelete
  6. never give up bro! keep going, keep plugging away

    ReplyDelete
  7. cayalah ziff, its a real difficult route and u did it :) all the best for u coming runs, sg kita siput run sama2 boleh? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deo - aku jumpa ijam masa dah gun-off, so kau dah berdesup-desup kat depan kot hahaha. Mmg aku treat that run as my first real LSD after almost 3 months of rest, tu yg berlenggang kangkung ajer tu.

    I think that Newton route will be the favourite among runners lah. Jom! Ramai-ramai anjing takut sikit kot, bab traffic tu mmg ler problem

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nik, #3 ada hadiah tahu, setengah balang tart nenas tapi kene bantai terus masa prize presentation hahahaha.

    Mmg ramai dah lambung LSD kat Newton route tu, mmg aku rasa kalau dah buat LSD tu route lain boleh lenggang kangkung with a snail turbo pace kot hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yim - TQ Yim, yes I need to start giving xtra commitment to my training, no pain no gain, u are the living proof of that :D

    Its good to be back in the runnning scene :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Syah Idola ku - Teringin nak LSD dgn new Avatar hero, dpt kene tempias power tu pun dah ok hehehe. Good to see u bro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cayalah ziff, slow takpe, asal jgn pengsan tengok amoi mcm aku...kah, kah...
    congrats bro, nanti kita kasi hentam itu PBIM dgn singapore..yahoo...!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kak June - TQ. Jom kak june, kita siput kat Singapore, sure ramai awek/amoi kat sana, kene pujuk Ijam sekali lari slow hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ijam - hahahaha, pengsan tgk amoi tu glamer lah. Apsal kau tak suruh Doc Pui San check hari tu hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ziff, it was really hot and tough, wasnt it? But you came through it even without much treneng. A few more LSDs here and you'd be all right again bro.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Ziff, berjaya habiskan larian Ammah hills yang sengsara..

    ijam pengsan sbb tengok byk sangat skirt..tu belum KA pakai skirt lagi...hi hi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Singapore maybe lari slow sikit la, bukannya laju mana pun aku..huhu...dah tua....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zack, mmg sengsara tp mmg aku x expect banyak sgt hills hehehe

    Ray - Aku pun rasa camtu ler si Ijam tu. hahaha KA pakai skirt Ijam sure follow dekat punya hehehe

    Ijam - lu mana ada tua lagik, cam budak 20an ler hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oi...ngumpat ye. Aku pakai skirt Ijam lari jauh2. Haha.
    Ziff, good job still. At least u were there with us to lift each others' spirits. All the best in ur upcoming events. Esp Powermeng!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aku mesti lari jauh gila punya..ha, ha..ha..
    yes, KA is right, good luck for powermeng tu...tak ramai boleh join tau...aku le tu...

    ReplyDelete
  21. KA, tq. Thats Y though sengsara I never regretted showing up and did the 25km. Being there with others made the experience wonderful (walaupun merana hehe)

    Ijam - Tapi kalau Doc Pui San dgn shanaz lari pakai skirt dgn KA sure kau follow dekat kan hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  22. itu sudah mesti....tapi berapa kerat pun lady runners dlm blog...balik2 nama pui san, shanaz, pui san, shanaz...tak meriah la...
    ziff kau tolong bawak awek jepun kau tu...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aku kene cari sponsor dulu kalau nak bawak awek Jepon aku tu dtg Mesia.

    Nanti aku ajak Ruby lari sekali kalau kau nak buat LSD kat shah alam nie hahaha. Shah Alam ada juga hills walau pun x se "ammah" and "appah" tu.

    [In case kalau Cik Ruby baca,gurau-gurau sajer yer sebut nama u tu :D)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oit siapa yang dah rasa tua tu? me belum rasa tua ok haha .. yalah ijam sudah silap sepatutnya tunggu pui san ada baru pengsan .. dpt rasa tangan gebu dia check2 heheeh

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like bola lambung-tanggung & kena gulung by the ammah! Hehe. Tapi kau sambut dengan macho walaupun muka dah lengit. That is one tough LSD for a start. You'll be great for the next one...FRIM kau lead Syah ok? :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. tunggu pui san? mmm...takut!!...aku tak kenal la si ruby tu...
    member aku ada la nama ruby tapi dia main congkak dgn miniature golf je...ha, ha...

    ReplyDelete
  27. hahah ijam, ruby it ada hot jugak lah

    ReplyDelete
  28. King - mmg lipat gulung double sommersault dgn ammah and appah hehehe. FRIM aku lead Syah setakat 100m masa start hahaha.

    Ijam- ehh, kau kenal ruby kan, geng ayam dara. Aku rasa dlm blog kau ada mention nama dia

    Kak June - geng ayam dara tu..mmg berdesup :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh, rubiatul tu...kenal le...ok jugak tu..
    mmg selalu tegur dia. Masa newtown tu tegur jugak dia, cik ruby, cik ruby. lepas tu dia jawab, 'ijam kan'? alamak...dia tau la pulak nama aku...huhuhu...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ijam, kau mmg ler sgt glamer. Semua runners kat Lembah Klang ni kenal Ronald McIjam hehehe

    ReplyDelete