Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Of Plantar Fasciitis, Dengue Fever & Some Rides

Plantar Fasciitis

I first had the injury in one of my weekday’s runs in the final week of October. It was not too bad initially but the downhills’ pounding in the Genting Trailblazers 2010 made it worse the next day. I had to force the early retirement of my mizuno entry level’s trail shoes after GTB and if I need to do trail running (I don’t think there will be any in the near future) I would just use my normal running shoes, at least they have better cushioning and stability than the Mizuno.

Because of the injury, I did not do any running for the entire of last week and as of today, I decided to rest for another 2 days to see the progress of the healing before I’ll do short easy runs. Powerman 2010 (Sprint category only) is approaching soon and I pray that the injury would at least 75% healed for me to do the running leg of the race. Ray had kindly donated the “Rocktape” for me to use in my training and Powerman’s race. Thanks bro!

The Dengue Fever

My second kid was diagnosed with a dengue fever after being down with what we first thought as normal fever for almost 3 days. I rushed home from office on Thursday evening after receiving the call from my wife informing me of the news. Considering the logistic and what’s not, I have decided to admit him in a hospital at Shah Alam (which is 5km from home) rather than the usual choice of SJMC at Subang Jaya. Alhamdulillah, he was responding positively to the treatment and his blood platelet count was increasing after the 2nd day of being admitted.

Left - Looked good on the 3rd day

Right - The others fooling around

By the afternoon of the 3rd day (Saturday), he started to feel a bit restless and eager to join his other siblings playing and fooling around in the ward. He was discharged yesterday after recorded a blood platelet count of 189 (150 is categorized as normal). Thank God for the speedy recovery.

Some Rides

Due to the rest from running, I tried to do few rides last week. I therefore accepted the lambong from Diket for night ride at Putrajaya on Wednesday night. Me, Shuk, Diket and Det started our ride from POJ and took the same route as per our ramadhan nite ride for a distance of 49km. I think I had better cadence with the adjustment of the height to my bike's saddle. Thanks to Det for appointing the height issue during the aborted brick session at Putrajaya 3 weeks ago. On Saturday, comforted with the recovery progress of my kid, I managed to slot in a brief ride of 30km solo around Section 13 Shah Alam. I noticed that the wind was much stronger in the evening compared to a morning ride.

Concerns

Not to claim that I don’t have any concern on the coming Powerman, I am actually more worried on the coming full marathon run of SCSM. I have not done many LSDs and the current injury compounded the issue. On the assumption that I would be OK for a long run after Powerman, I will be left with only 2 weeks to clock a decent mileage for SCSM. Seems like there will be no option but to nail a 32k LSD by next week *sigh*

20 comments:

  1. Think positive Ziff, don't let your brain tell u otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your son might show some fatigueness, its normal after kena dengue, so dont worry too much abt it :) and good luck for powermeng and u will be fine for scsm, janji habis minus injury :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nik, TQ. Shud never doubt an advise from someone who dared to do unplanned Ultras!

    Kak June - TQ kak june. So far he looks Ok and of his normal lasak mode :D. Cadang mmg nak lari santai dgn King Mambo tapi santai Diket Menchanak sub 5 hour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'll be fine soon, not to worry. Boys mana boleh terbaring lama2.. :)
    Dont push too much if you still can feel your planta. All the best and good luck at pawarmeng!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalau pakai rock tape jangan lari menchanak sampai lupa diri...nanti Deo jambu jeles pulak..he he

    goodluck untuk powerman:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, doesnt sound good but cheer up. things have begun to be better already. I dont even have time for a LSD running up to PBIM and SCMS ... sigh. I'll treat the bike ride of Broga for 5 hours and the upcoming 5 hours of PawarMeng as LSD. I know it's not the same but it's also endurance for long hours. Rest well and see you PawarMeng, you'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll do the 32k with u provided u come to kiara and we run to bt aman and back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. powerman dah kira LSD ler tu, no worries, time powerman kak tipah boleh tolong kasi air jampi sket, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. zack - pasal tu aku masih gagal menyambut lambongan LSD kat BS. Enjoy ur LSD bro, kasi gigil kaki Deo tu hehe

    Ray - menchanak tu apa yer? jenis2 karipap ker? hehe. Apa barang Deo mahu jeles kat aku, last LSD aku 18.5km dah lengit ekeke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yim - yeah, things look a bit better after Newton but again its part of my training kan. Hopefully the ride could at least sustain our stamina for the FM. U dont want to join our convoy this weekend?

    Kash - My pleasure! I have never done that route as well. We confirm next week

    jaja - masalahnya i buat sprint ajer, kira LSD 20k ler kot tu yer. Yg buat full powerman boleh claim buat 42k terus hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't stress yourself bro. All should be good. Most importantly, your son is kicking already.

    Enjoy Powerman trip and the race of course. The following weekend, we do 25km LSD and 20km the week after togeder-geder. Planta shud be ok by then. No need 32 la, late already. If Planta arises, I'll bring Gardenia :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. sengih aku sorg2 tengok gambar yg kanan tu. haha.

    All the best in Powerman and SCMS Ziff. It sucks to have an injury. I should know. But it felt good to cross the finishing line no matter what. Aku pun nervous utk PBIM ni. Actually bukan aku. Lutut aku yg nervous. hehe. Harap2 SCKLM takkan berulang. Aminnn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. alhamdulillah denggi dah ok...tak senang duduk di buatnya...
    Pasal planta dgn marjerin tu, kalau suntik steroid ok lah tu...(jgn tanam susuk pulak)..
    Aku teringat before Std Chartered KL Marathon dulu kau pun ada prob yg sama, tapi tetap buat jugak 42km tu...ha, kan dah ok dah...asalkan tak masuk spital ok le...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. King - alhamdulillah all going for a better now. Just need to tahan one more day the urge to put on my running shoes for a run hehehe. Planta masa tu aku dah simpan dalam peti ais, roti gardenia buat sardin cili sandwich mmg sodappp

    Tsar - sengih2 tu dah ada perancangan ker? eekeke. Hopefully lutut kau ok untuk mencanak kat PBIM tu. Kau pakai knee guard ok kot. All the best bro!

    Ijam - suntik steroid mahu mencanak aku lari nanti hehe. Aku risau sikit pasal kat Powerman tu lari first 5.5k tu my b nak enjut sikit, takut teruk plak kes roti planta aku tu. Tp insyaallah 2 weeks before SCSM, planta tu dah ok..aminnnnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ziff: perancangan tu lama dahhh.. part implementation tu, err... fail. hahaha.

    thanks.

    word verification: clowinta. a female member in Team Clown?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ziff, my "home minister" was kissed by the deadly creature in August too... it was stressful...:P

    Be very careful with other family members too... remember to apply insect repellent whenever you are at outdoor b'coz most likely the culprit is still around... nyamuk aedes (the female that bytes) have 1 month life!

    Good luck and have fun with Powerman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi YS, thanks for dropping by. I can imagine your stress in manning the fort with your wife being warded. I will do as per your advise as we do not know where was my kid get kissed by the nyamuk and thanks for the wish for Powerman :D

    ReplyDelete