Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cold Feet.......

I hate to admit it but yeah, i am having a cold feet to run in the NB 20km this coming sunday. I think i trained better for the previous running event though this will be my maiden 20k. I acknowledged that i am a slow runner but still i did put a modest personal target in every run i participated. My confidence level however hits its lowest after the Malakoff run and i should blame mysef for over estimating my own physical limitation.

The story is this, 2 days before the malakof run, i had a "mini family weekend outing" with 4 other neighbours in PD. Malakoff run had always been in my diary and i dont want to give it a miss. Becoz of that i made a compromise, with my self and my other half. I will drive back to shah alam saturday nite, run the next morning and then drive back to PD, pick up my family, check out and drop by at wife's relative home in Nilai on the way back to Shah Alam. Seems a good plan, a win-win arrangement, so i thought.
The result - a resounding success of the "mini family weekend outing" but a disaster for my run. I reached home around 11 pm that saturday nite after having a full day of family day activities...beach soccer, tug of war, and few other sukaneka types, not counting 2 full days of rushing here n there making sure the family outing went smoothly. Though i thought I could take the challenge the nexy day, my body violently refused to cooperate. I had a body ache when i woke up at 4.30 am. At the start venue I had a last minute "big toilet call" 20 mins before gun-off though i settled that particular business earlier be4 fajr prayer at Damansara Height's mosque (Note- luckily after searching high n low for a "vacant unit", which was of course an exercise of futility, the urge disappeared 3 minutes before the gun-off). With no warm-up and leg feeling like a jelly, i struggled almost immediately after gun-off and the first steep climb run near SC didnt help the condition either. I finished with a bad timing and i was so frustrated. I felt i had wasted all my training hours that i had logged in for this run.
I did recover from those down period but with the dented confidence, mentally i have been doubting my self of doing my first 20k quite soon after the bitter malakoff xperience. I only did 4 runs (with 2 LSD) after malakoff and pray that whatever mental strenght that i have will push me to finish the race within the qualifying time, Insyallah.
On a ligher note, at least the NB 20k will be my LDS training for my planned first 1/2 marathon race this year. See u guys at Padang Merbok this sunday and lets us conquer the hillsssss!

12 comments:

  1. Dear Ziff,

    Im doing 30k yet i had only been managed to squezze only one LSD last weekend, although i did my 21k before but for me its the mental that makes u reach that extra miles.

    here are some tips, i carried a small size mineral bottles not that 1.5 l and mixed it with ORS salt and every water station, fill it up again..the key is to get well hydrated during the run...go at your own pace

    good luck for NB 20k this weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaq. Thanks a lot for the tips. Yes, i will try my best not to be sucked with the pace of the faster runners. Good luck to u as well. I plan to carry 3 powel gels in my run this weekend....desperate ppl needs to resort to desperate measures..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ziff, I think you're a bit too hard on yourself with Malakoff and how badly you fared in it. After all, you had family commitments to balance at that time. Races will be there, miss this one, there's always the next one, and the next and so on :)

    I started running June last year cause I was overweight (and wanted a better lifestyle), only did 10km races and didnt bother about LSDs. My training only went as far as 5km each time, either on the threadmill or at the park. Bodoh punya, signed up for my 1st half marathon in Borneo last Oct and didnt quite know what to expect.

    Ran my first half marathon, manage to finish in 2:16.00 which was quite a surprise. I am 39, I was 83kg before and now 72 after running for 6 months. I went off to finish my 2nd half marathon at the Penang Bridge last Nov and finished 2:07.0.

    My point is don't doubt yourself. If you're in doubt, make up for it in doing more training. Find time, not excuses. More importantly, you need to get your mental ready to complete 21km. Finishing is important, not the timing. All the best for NB20k, perhaps I shall bump into you cause I'll be doing the 20km too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yimster. Wow, i am amazed with ur achievement. We started running at about the same time (6 mths ago) and I will be 39 as well this year :-) Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement. Yup, its all in the mind. Truly appreciate your advise and encouragement. Look forward for the NB20k this sunday and who knows that i may bump into u as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ziff, so long the determination and passion is there in your heart and in your head, you'll do just fine mate ;)

    Seeya this Sunday kat Padang Merbok and psych yourself up in the next few days, oh and eat well ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey ziff! I know exactly the pains when starting to run and doubting yourselves, and asking why the hell, lah you were doing running. Yimster is right - you are being too hard on yourself. After 6 months and now your first 20k, you should be proud!

    Life is not made of perfect shape in one try, not even hundreds... but we need to realise that our trying to improve is our sanity. Running is an objective to live a healthier life, never was about timing in the first place, kan. Statistically, you dragging your feet off the bed and sweat, is a lot better that millions others who wakes up late, and live recklessly.

    Chins up... see you this weekend?

    p.s. come and join us running, Geng Bas Sekolah never leaves a friend behind... we run and have fun togedergeder

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, why dont u join us for our session? it would be great to have a new face joining in. besides, im totally agree with Shah, dont worry, we wont leave u behind, theres always a sweeper or two to make sure that didnt happen.. haha.. (im a slow runner too) Lets make our maiden 20k something to remember for..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yimster

    The passion is still there for sure. Am continuing to build-up the determination. No pain no gain rite. BTW i visited ur blogs and for someone who started just 6 mths ago, u are FAST man.

    Amsyah and Che

    Thanks bros! Will be honoured to run along GBS members yg mmg power2 belaka hehehe. Insyallah, kalau tiada aral, i will join u guys in the next run, road or trail. Got a colleague as well who i can bring along.

    Syah - Thanks for reminding me Y i took up running in the first place!

    Che - u will do ur first 20k as well? Good luck bro.

    See u guys at Padang Merbok this sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ziff, fast is relative only :). You could too in time, just need to put your mind to it. All the best for this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See u there also. Dun "smoke" too much ok hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Takde smoke2 lah. Run my pace je. Haven't been feeling brilliant this whole week so I think I'll just take it nice and easy. Hmm ... I musnt be ill now! Say hi lah if you bump into me ek hehe.

    ReplyDelete