Sunday, January 17, 2010

NB Pacesetters 20k Run 2010 - A New Beginning

First I wish to record my thanks to Yimster, Syah, Shaq, Che, Diket n Haza for u guys' words of encouragement as well as those tips and advises. When i got up this morning at 3.40am, I had a feeling that this run would bury my Malakoff Run's nitemare. I didnt have a good sleep though i retired to bed quite early. Wife woke me up (she is doing her master course and due to all of her classes were at nite, she is having a bit of problem to sleep early after reaching home and that explains Y whe was still up at such ungodly hours this morning). For today's run, i decided to experiment a bit on my breakfast menu. Asked wife to prepare rice porridge with a bit of veggie. I prefer a hot meal for my breakfast this time around. I think the meal was Ok, neither too heavy nor too light.

Reached Bkt Aman around 5.10 am. Whilst waiting for fajr prayer, i decided to do my warm-up at the car park. Just like the other runners who performed fajr prayer at Masjid Bkt Aman, I need to run to Padang Merbuk for the gun-off.

My game plan for the run was pretty simple. Mind my own business and keep to my pace. I didnt set any ambitious target in d first place. The primary objective was to finish the run with a doable pace (I have to take into account the hills) and hopefully i could finish within the qualifying time.

I am very pleased to tell u guys that i managed to keep to my game plan from the start to the finish. Never exert myself too much at any point of the run. Infact I have to thank Haza as she was my unofficial pacesetters at km13-14 :-) (without her knowledge ok). But starting frm KM14 something, I felt a slight pain at my right knee. I knew the cause and it was due to my own foolishness. On my last training round, for no logical and sensible reason, I sprinted on the last 200 meters downhill to Padang Merbuk. Though i did feel a slight pain at my right knee, i think i had fully recovered with the 3 days rest prior to the race day.

The pain started to effect my run at the last hill climb before exiting to jn Mahameru. I dont think i have any other viable option except reducing my pace. With more than 70% of the distance covered i would not let the pain destroyed this self redeeming run!

Not to make the pain becoming worst, i took a brief walk break but determined to run all d way to d finish line once i reached d downhill to Jln Mahameru. Thank god, with a snail pace, i attacked the Wisma Tani Hill and by the time i turned to attack (again with a snail pace) the Istana Selangor Hill, I already know that i could beat the qualifying time. The downhill run to the finish line was such an enjoyable moment and when i cross d finishing line, i put up my hand in joy for finishing in................2 hrs 27 mins (handtimed).

I know its a so so timing for a maiden 20k but the priceless part of this run is that I managed to get back myself esteem of being a runner.......a snail pace runner.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first 20k. Your time will improve. I sorang je yg getting slower actually. :)

    SO what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on breaking the virginity of half marathon. I'd say it's a good time no doubt (given the bloody hills) and in no time at all ... you'll see improvement. Careful of pre-pain and dont exert too much before race day. Also dont lah ignore pain tu, its your body telling you something aint right :)

    Putrajaya Night Run hehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Haza. Planned to do 1/2 kat Putrajaya but in the morning my taman had a gotong royong perdana (and I am in d committee). Dun think i can run in d evening. Will register however for Energizer 1/2 and Sundown 1/2 (u will do ultra rite? Tabik madam!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yimster....my hope as well. I am still amazed with the vast improvement that u had achieved. Again congrate! Yahlor, need to address d pain. Need to take more milk for calcium supply. Lutut sudah lama x servis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Ziff! I am so happy and proud of you. Your determination inspires me.

    Perhaps we should set up a spot for blog-runners at events so that we can meet up & get to know each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caya ler Abg Ziff, if u conceived u can achieved, If u can do this others will be within reach..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats for your successful maiden half! Good to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your run with very minimal injury, and still secured very good timing.

    you are one fast snail, lah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats ziff! no pain no gain..
    u'll improve in no time

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats bro! many more miles to come :)

    kena tukar nih.. dari snail to (something faster than snail) haha.. again, finishing it injury free and enjoying the run is what matter most kan?

    a'ah, agree with Diket. Selalu cerita tapi x penah jumpa orgnye.. kan?

    We'll set up a spot next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys

    Diket - On d other hand, ur achievement motivated and inspired me. Frankly, watching u guys at d front pack did humble me (in a positive way since i will try to emulate u guys yg berdesup lari). If I know the spot, iInsyaallah i could meet u guys after the run

    Shaq - True, will continue strive to reach for others.

    Syah - still a snail lah. Lepas snail baru boleh upgrade to turtoise hahaha

    Crushhio - betul, no pain no gain. Kene train lebih kalau nak better the timing. Kalau ada tips share sekali :-)

    Che - Wahh, berdesup kau lari semalam. Laju sikit frm snail is turtoise i think. If Chap Ayam Runners are being made the benckmark, Lepas turtoise, itik plak kot. Insyallah if i know the spot, i will show up.

    By the way, i spoke to 2 frens yesterday about joining u guys' future LSD session. One is my senior in Uni and the other is his bro in law. They are much better runners than me but all this while asyik masuk 10-12k ajer (semalam they did 56-58min for 10k). Kalau ada peluang, I will bring them as well in any of the LSD session next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bro, no need to upgrade to tortoise. You're already a Turbo Snail :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. bro, well done and you clocked a good time as well. (better than my maiden 20k). The route itself is vicious enough, and to have it completed is alreday a big plus. Most importantly, enjoy your run and everything will fall nicely in its own place.
    p/s - Let's 'preserve' life by living fitfully and healthily. Just a community service. reminder by Corporate Athletes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cayalah Bro!
    Itu mesti pasal dah carboloading bubur nasi + sayur pagi2 tu... hehehe.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bro Ian, thanks. Its a new journey for me and sometimes kalau pikir2, apasal ler x start earlier, like in early 30s dulu :-). But its never too late and of course with all the sifus around,things shud be better.

    Nik

    Hahahaha, dulu pernah baca blog Syah dia buka periuk makan nasi pagi2 buta masa nak buat full marathon SCKLIM 09, so aku cuba a lighter version of that :-)! Bila nak attempt IM? This year ker?

    ReplyDelete