Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sundown




I became aware of this event sometimes at the end of last year. That was the period when I started contemplating to do a half marathon in 2010 and began to check for more information on the running events for 2010, where I stumbled upon this event in other runners' blogs.


With quite a number of races scheduled this year around Klang Valley and coupled with my doubtful commitment in attempting a 1/2 marathon run in the first half of 2010, I came to a conclusion that running in the Lion City is just a bit ambitious for a novice runner. With that in mind, I just striked out this event from my list.


There was however a little twist of circumstances that made me re-visit the idea. With the pshycological confidence gained from my maiden 20k run in NB Pacesetters in January this year, the thought of running in Sundown 1/2 marathon was obviously tempting. But when I wanted to register on-line, I was dumb founded and assumed that there was a technical glitch in the event's website as I was repeatedly navigated to the registration page for women 10k category. It was only a while that I realised that all the other categories were filled to the brink...hahahaha. Frankly it never crossed my mind that registration for a running event would be closed almost 6 months before the race day! 2 months may be but not 5-6 months before. Obviously I applied a different standard for a race in the city state down south.

Again I have to strike out this event in my new prepared list. A bit of a dissapointment but with PNM (which later I skipped due to the knee injury) and ENR to be held in the first quarter of the year and later SCKLIM scheduled sometimes in the middle of the year, would be sufficient to keep me motivated.


In the interim, I started to read more and more runners' blogs. It did have a direct impact on me, not just in keeping my interest intact in running but provide the much needed inspiration from others' running/physical adventure, trial, tribulation and achievement. Sundown marathon, with the Ultra-marathon, being the the icing of the cake, is just one of the events that should not be missed, with few blogger friends attempting the Ultra category and many others doing 1/2 and full marathon.



After successfully and safely finishing the 1/2 marathon in ENR, I decided to try my luck in getting the bib for Sundown. There is no other better place to go that approaching the famous Mr. Ronnie See, PM1 of De PaceMakers, requesting for his help. I didn't see him putting up "my advert" on his blog but I know that by any chance, if there is someone who wishes to sell his Sundown Marathon bib, Ronnie will also be the first person he approached.


After nearly a month of silence from Ronnie and my half hearted attempt to get the Sundown bib from other means, I started telling myself not expect too much until last friday evening, just before clearing my desk for home, I received an sms from an unknown number with a message "please check your email, ronnie". For whatever reason the name "Ronnie" didn't ring any bell in my head. I was pretty sure that this Ronnie is not my client. A tele-marketer I guess but how this guy knows my email??? So I replied "Who is this?" Immediately after I sent out the reply, my HP rang and its from an unknown fixed line telephone number. 'Hi, Is this Ziff", the voice sound friendly though. I answered in affirmative but with an obvious tone of confusion. The guy then asked me whether I got a sms from Ronnie. Aiyooo, this Ronnie thingy again! "I am sorry but Ronnie who?" I answered. "Ronnie See........u know the DerPacemakers..PM1", the guy replied. "Ohhhhhhhh..that Ronnie". It was like a xenon angel eye E46's headlamps on top of my head. By that time I could guess the main subject matter of our next conversation. To cut the story short, this very friendly and nice chap by the name of Raymond decided not to run in the coming Sundown due to lack of training. He registered for the Sundown after completed the SCSIM 2009 and since then, had lost the momentum due to work commitment. He contacted Ronnie and the rest is history.


Since I am new to this "bib transfer", do i need to produce a copy of Raymond's ic/passport and authorization letter to collect the race kit or the registration slip alone will do? I know that for the Pacesetters' organized event, the sole registration receipt would suffice but again I don't want to do a same mistake of applying a wrong standard at a wrong place.


In the meantime, I need to get my lazy bum to run.........arghhhhhhhh.

7 comments:

  1. Good to hear this news bro. Welcome to the lion city run. Jumpa sana ye? Or want to enter spore togeder-geder pun ok. Btw, this Raymond registered half or full marathon? Double check dulu. Hahaha.

    It's best if you can email the organiser about the bib transfer thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diket - i incline to go togeder-geder with u guys. Not very familiar with Spore abd first time going there for a run. Aku dah double check that Raymond registered for 1/2. kalau full mmg naya hahahaha

    Kash - I look forward to see u crossing finishing line :) Wish u the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ziff all the best in Temasek, i was interested to join BUT i was too late, registration was closed.

    I'll try to be there next year, promise me that you'll post your running experience here bro. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rayzeef

    U must be in the same boat with me hehe. Never thought 5 months before race day is just too late to register! Hopefully u will make it next year. Insyaallah i will post the race report. C u in SCKLIM (or may be SP Setia 1/2 marathon?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wah agak cerekarama entry kau this time... and E46 as lampu idea, WOW!

    tahniah, selangkah kaki dah sampai ke starting line haha! jom kita pegi togedergeder! Aku rasa, bagus kalau kau mintak roger isi authorisation form, and get his ID copy etc, just in case :)

    bila nak LSD? ada 5 minggu je lagi nih

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha....cerekarama ok syah, jgn bercengkerama...jauh makna tu hehe. Dulu minat E46 tp x der duit nak beli. sekarang minat E60 lagik ler x cukup fulus hahahaha.

    Aku mmg rasa kita pergi togeder-geder. I will stand advised by u guys. Drive or by public transport, both ok with me.

    This sunday jom LSD. Sabtu ni x clear. Nanti kalau ada calling-calling ler.

    ReplyDelete