Saturday, June 12, 2010

Endomondo Tracker - LSD 12 June 2010 (Bkt Aman - Matrade - Hartamas)

As I had written in one of my postings before, I had never done the Bukit Aman - Hartamas route. In NB20k Pacesetters earlier this year, we ran part of the route, i.e. looping Matrade and back to Padang Merbok via Tijani, Lebuhraya Mahameru, Jalan Sultan Salahuddin and Bukit Istana Selangor.

This morning, after resting slightly more than a week (I did 2 post treatment trial runs around my neighbourhood earlier this week), I decided to join the LSD organised by Syah pursuant to the royal decree of King Lambung, plying the route above. With the medication and the "ice-ice baby treatment", it seems that the recovery of the shin splint at my left leg is progressing well and the LSD will be the test whether it can take the poundings. By the way, distance wise, I did not put any target and I have to admit that the route, with the inclusion of Matrade and Double Hill in the menu, as well as running with far stronger runners did daunt me. I told myself to run up to any distance that I could handle and the possibility of skipping Matrade and Double Hills could not be discounted.

The First Part

There were 5 of us, me, Syah, Diket, Ian, Syed and Irwan (Syed's friend). We started off circa 6.45am. I tried not to think about my pace, just trying my best to follow the others (as long as I think i will not bonk by 3km hehe). Pace wise, we were going much faster than my normal pace. By the time we reached the incline to Matrade I started to struggle and at last resorted to take my walk break, with Syah as my company coupled with his encouraging words, to overcome the final incline before joining the others to finish the first part of the LSD at Petronas Hartamas, where we had our brief re-fuel break. I run my fastest pace LSD completing a 12.3km distance (10k at 62min is a PB for this olie snail runner hehe)! You can check out the split times recorded by the freebie Endomondo GPS Sports Tracker downloaded to my Cik Kia E71.

Endomondo Running Workout (First Part) [Note -To know the splits, just point to the mileage on the map]


The Second Part

I think I started out OK, again trying my best to follow the pace of others (it seemed really easy peasy for them). But once the elevation increased at Matrade, I started to struggle to run pass those inclines. This time, I had a royal company, where the King himself walked with me, to tackle those inclines. This walking routine at certain level of inclines continued for the rest of the journey and though I tried to do the smallest steps going up the peaks of the Double Hills, the task of reaching them was just to tough for me to accomplish. Syah then took over Diket's role and accompanied me to Jln Mahameru and we re-grouped with the others at the junction near Bukit Istana. We run back together to Bukit Aman via Bukit Istana and Tugu Negara.

You can check my split times below (Note - the tracking was slightly delayed after we started our run from Hartamas. The tracking stopped somewhere near Wisma Tani for an unknown reason (it rarely happened).

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts?w=mBp0yY_qHu4


Conclusions

(a) The run proved that I can run faster than my normal pace of 7:30-45min/km-ish (and above) for my easy run.

(b) I got a LOT of advises and tips from the others. That may be a blessing in disguise for being at the back and spending longer time with a stronger and faster running buddy. Thanks guys!

(c) As Syah has highlighted and stressed upon, I need to find ways to improve my rehydration plan with me having problem to take isotonic during my run. I plan to carry along both plain water and isotonic drink (or ORS mixed drink) in my long runs as well as dates/raisins.

(d) More focused mind. I lack ANCHORING (term acquired from the King). I must set the target at the start of the run and the slightest thinking, the like of "lets see how long I could go or if I feel tired I may skip certain routes" is just a recipe for failure in a LSD.

(e) My injured leg could take a 24km-ish run quite well (with the new footware..ehemmm). Felt a slight pain post run last night and this morning but some icing would do. Decided to ditch a 10k run this morning to rest the leg.

After all are said and done, my running journey will continue, God willing.

14 comments:

  1. gud job bro:) rest is also part of the training, if things progressing well SCKLM would be your 3rd HM.

    See u next LSD:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TQ Ray. If everything goes well, I will be there at SCKLM. Nanti jgn terbabas lagik bro. The nite before you have to forget about the 2.30am match hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thumbs up bro. Job well done for your Seri Hartamas preview run. Nice kan? The Matrade stretch is always the tough one. Only included when LSD milage typically increased. Double Hill, bonus.

    Jangan serik :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diket, masa tgh sengsara tu mmg rasa serik, lepas tu gatal nak layan lagi hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Applause! Orang kata the first cut is the deepest hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey ziff,

    lets pat our backs.. we were haunted by injuries and we survived our LSD!

    nway, rest well! this remaining days before the big day,lets just dont exert ourselves, anything light and easy will just do..

    ReplyDelete
  7. need to join u guys for the next LSD.. this weekend rite?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Syah - mmg deep, sampai meleleh peluh kat ketiak...hhehehe

    Syed - yeah, kudos to u too! It was a tough one for me at Matrade and Double Hill. U rest well also bro but lets join the RBU tapering LSD this weekend

    Che - Jom bro, join us. Nanti lepas SCKLM, kau nak kene organise the trail run :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zif, great run there bro. Well done. You're on your way to a good run at scklm. Jgn lupa taper, tapi jgn wakawaka jer pulak. Tido lagi baekkk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zaki....still looking for the peak run :) Aku mmg dah retire from watching matches beyond 12am. Betul kau cakap, tidur lagik best :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aik? dah 3 org dah tukar layout ni...musim ke apa, atau berpakat..? kau, diket, haza...tu belum tengok yg lain tu...
    training jgn tak training pakai endomondo...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ijam, sajer menggatal nak klik template...hehe. Kau punya endomondo ada ok?

    ReplyDelete
  13. endomondo aku ok je..tak guna sangat, terlalu bulky la nak bawak handphone sambil lari, lepas tu makan karipap pulak tu...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jam, kau kene beli HP baru, yg slim2 gitu hehe

    ReplyDelete