Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Kissing Good-bye to SCKLIM 2010

Yim's postings on his knee issue and his consultation with Dr. William has prompted me to consider seeking proper consultation on the pain around my lower left leg (near the shin and during a run could also be felt around the calve), which has been bugging me since before the Energizer Night Run. All this while I have classified the issue as minor due to the facts that:
(a) the pain would be apparent at the start of the run and later eases as the run progresses;
(b) the pain returns after the run and may become a bit worse in the next morning but eases after a day or 2 of rest;
(c) I could continue my run and training as long as the pace is easy; and
(d) since I could run, I am convinced that the pain is temporary (most probably it relates to some muscles soreness) and once I log in more mileage, naturally my running muscles would be strenghtened and eliminate the pain, in time.
I made a visit to Dr. William's clinic at Subang Jaya this evening and after the facts finding interview, some physical examination of my foot/leg, x-tray and ultra sound of the related parts, it has been confirmed that the pain is a second stage "Medial Tibial Stress Syndrom" or in a layman term, "shin splints".
The most important thing about shin splints is to identify the actual cause of the injury. Training wise, a runner should not suffer shin splints if the mileage is around 20-30+km per week. I have been doing about 32-37km per week for the past 4 weeks and this is far from being classifed as excessive mileage. Having ruled out the cause relating to "training errors", the second possible cause is the "biomechanical inefficiencies" and this is where my case fits the bill. In summary after all those examinations, the following are the causes why I suffered shin splints:
(a) I have a left "over-pronate" foot;
(b) my footware did not support the above (case of ignorant or just being lazy bum to dig for more information about running shoes); and
(c) my running style of "forefoot landing" and "big toe pointed outwards" just compounded the (a) and (b) above.
A stage 2 shin splints injury would require a resting period of 6-8 weeks. As Dr. William is a runner himself, he did provide an option that if I still want to run in SCKLIM (restricted me in 5k category!!), he could give me certain medication sometimes nearer to the day of the run. This is the time where I reminded myself why I took up running in the first place. I may ignore the Dr's order and run in the coming Setia Eco 1/2 this weekend and hope with the medication and treatment, I could still run in the SCKLIM but at what cost? I am not running for the podium (I wish I can hehehe). No need to guess the answer. I will be a good boy and listen to the Dr's advise.
Now Yim, when we should start shopping for the bike that we talked about quite sometimes ago :)

16 comments:

  1. oh no! everyone gettin injured now :-(

    well ziff take good care of your feet, you gonna need it for UMV 2011..he he

    i guess u won't run this coming saturday? how about just power walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. another fallen comrade? it seems that the doc is very much against long distance races?
    i worked with an orthopaedic company just until recently and we have been trained not to succumb to injections and painkillers. the answer, among others, is proper footwear. get a customised insoles if you need to.
    but then again, he might know better. just don't fall prey to negativity. take good care bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries bro. Anugerah kaki hanya sepasang & bukan aje guna utk berlari. Chill you will and recover well. Come back strong ok. Watch out for the weight also dude. See you this Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiyo ziff. Really sorry to hear that. Seems to be injury season and like kak june said, we can form a new group dah. I know the dissapointment and how it feels ziff. Health first, plenty of more runs in time. So choose wisely ya. I dont think i can do biking much based on my injury. Swimming? Lol

    Keep up the high spirits ziff, thats important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no... sorry to hear that. put it up for now, but don't shy away :)

    Err, Yim and June - you guys are not starting another FB group, are you hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh ziff didn't know that your leg is bugging you.

    Listen to the doctor for the good points - resting, proper shoes, etc, but at the same time don't give up on running. Try to strengthen your muscles around the area, etc.

    Have proper rest! Now I only limit myself to 2 runs per week asalkan dapat lepas rindu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ziff, sorry to hear that and hope for your speedy recovery. Please get more info/advice on the type of shoes suitable for you. It could make a big difference. Come back stronger, think about FM at PBIM... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray - nak kene break the FMV virginity before UMV20100 hehe. Setia 1/2 aku x run tp plan to come to meet u guys at the finishing line. Tgk camner nanti

    KA - Think the Dr is playing the "conservative" role there, i.e. u can run if u wanna to but the injury may become worse and recovery will be longer. His advise is to wear the right footwear and change my running style.

    Diket - Betul2. Tgh rest period nie boleh ler aku buat part time work jadi macai cabut bulu ekor beruang panda King Mambo.....gaji mahal wooooo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yim - no worry bro. I took it easy. Will let the spirit high by being busybody at running events :). Ohh, your injury cycling pun x boleh ker?

    Syah - aku x akan segan silu menyebok kan diri kat SCKLIM nanti (ni ikut ayat Zul Hassan's style)

    Nadia - Just kept it to myself since i thought it was minor. I will rest for a while but rest assured I will do some restricted running in 2 weeks time, God willing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zaki, my initial mission has gone bust ;-). True, footwear is important and I shud have given it more attantion long time ago. FM in PBIM and SCSM?? U be my pacer OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rise of the fallen!!! Rise of the fallen!!..baru je makan karipap hari tu dah injured dah..?..adui ai...
    Tapi kalau prolong injury pun tak bagus jugak..tapi aku fikir kan, since ramadhan is coming nearer, and raya also, we might take a rest the whole one month plus...
    So, what i meant to say, if u kiasu kind of person, just RUN...then if u stuck in the middle, be it..u can still walk..
    Hope i'm not get anybody mad here..tq..

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha Ijam. My wildest thought as well. I will stop running for a week and a half and lets see how the progress of the recovery before deciding whether to play a gung-ho boy or not hehehe.

    p/s Dr William cakap if my timing of 21k around 2hr 15 min, boleh masuk lagi SCKLIM tu pasal kalau sakit half way can do run walk routine and still finish within time. Tapi dah aku slow cam ciput dia kata, "x dapek den nak nolong haaaa, x baloi eko lari kat SCKLIM tu", not verbatim tapi maksud dia lebih kurang camtu ler hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Owh ziff, sorry to hear this.. races can wait.. love thy body.. rest well and u will find your self coming back stronger..

    take care bro!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Syed - TQ bro. Start running at age nearly 40 ni macam tu ler. Kene slow and steady :). Good luck for your SCKLIM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello, 40 tak tuek OK. I concur with Ijam.

    p.s i dont give good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kash, belum tuek tp nak kene reinforced balik the nerve and muscles :). Your advise is taken seriously and lets see in a week time ;-)

    ReplyDelete