Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Night in Changi

Me and wife reached Subang Airport about ten minutes before 8pm today. It has been a great weekend, spending time in the City State down south. More so because of the achievement of those persons that share the same passion as mine (if not I don't think we were willing to spend our time and money to be in a place called Changi yesterday night).
The ultimate congratulatory wishes of course would go to Kash, Haza and NIK, for showing how determination, steely resolves and sacrifices along the way could turn a dream into a sweet reality. When I managed to catch both of them on their way to the starting line, I could not help from wondering what was really in their mind at that very moment. I was excited but at the same time humbled with the guts of those people who were waiting to be released to commence one of their greatest journey in life. [Note: I knew Nik started with the ultra runners and I am very-very sure he would at least finished the 42km distance in sub 5) [Note 2 - Nik finished the entire 84km!!! This is the biggest heist in pirating history].
Secondly a thundering applause to the full marathoners, Syah, Ian, Zaki, Dett and I have to give Nadia a special standing ovation with her courage of accepting the challenge of doing full marathon without having prepared to run in one! I did wish that one day I could start along side you guys in future full marathon event.
Last but not least the guys who run in the half marathon category that night just for the fun of it (since they are all a class or two above me and being full marathoners as well), Diket (King Mambo), Yim, Ijam and Alwin. We could not run side by side but the thought of letting you guys waited all night long for me to come back from a mere 21km run did push me to tell the body not to stop from my snail pace stride (of course I did stop to drink at some water stations ok :).
All in all, it was not about my run that made me remember "Adidas Sundown Marathon 2010 - Let's Beat the Sun Rise" but the opportunity to witness mere mortals conquering their own fear and pains to live their respective dreams.
Congratulations again to all!

13 comments:

  1. Ziff congrats, i am unbelievably jealous not to be there with the rest of RBUs

    You completed 2nd HM, now we're even, see u soon at Setia Eco HM :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insyaallah next event the RBU will meet again. Yes, we are even and lets run togeder-togeder at Setia Alam 1/2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the real hero would be NIK.

    Thanks, ziff, and if you must know, I felt like a lamb to the slaughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ziff, congratulations on your 21km. what is this... no race report?? i want to read your adventure.

    i finished the race when everyone else has showered, ate and done everything else hehehe.

    say hello to your wife again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ziff - congratulations on finishing your 2nd. Tell us your adventures, coz we could all gloat on others' achievemensts easily, but reading your perspectives will be refreshing.

    You have been a real sport to keep together, and enjoy everything apart from solely running - shopping etc. That's waht it should be, kan - wholesome experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ziff, congrats bro. Good time we had that night, huh, everyone with their races but together as one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ziff, you seemed to enjoy the run very much ... u came back all smiling as if u just won a lottery ... hehe .. I guess that's the true feeling that we get from running, more so after stepping over the finishing line in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Ziff!
    You did it again. That's awesome.
    Yeah, i agree with many commenters.. you should write a longer report with your perspective and experience of the whole run.

    Syabas bro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thumbs up bro. Job well done. I think that particular night/morning, we managed to chat a little bit longer after the run kan? Too bad I was half beaten by the run.

    So, full 42k is coming soon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haza - i would post the pics that I managed to snaps at the "kandang" :)

    Nadia - Finishing a full Marathon is a great feat. No worry, I do plan to do a full report. Congrats again!

    Syah - Yes, it was an awesome xperience. I will give my perspective of the entire event for sure.

    Zaki - U made it again! Trust that going to another race would be fun after this with many frens around :)

    Ian - Thats what made us doing it again and again rite :). Told myself to just enjoy my run and did just that. Happy because i managed to do a snail pace run all the way.

    Nik - Hahahaha, bro, my jaws dropped when i was told that u started with the ultras. Congrats again! Will do my report soon. If i saw u at the starting line I would for sure snapped ur pic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diket, we supposed to start togeder-geder kan. Had a good chat with u and Alwin. If i came alone, I would stay all night/morning with u guys but kesian plak tinggalkan wife kat hotel sorang2 hehehe. Next event at Singapore u shud start somewhere in front since the crowd is just too big for ur pace if u start at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ziff : apa barang 21km...!!! ha, ha...
    42km Penang Bridge jumpa di sana, Zaki dah racun suruh pegi ni...
    anyway, congrats bro, i know sometimes it's hard.... your friends, your loved ones, the participants itself, the sundown environment...they kept u going...slow doesn't meant u can't do it...look at Nadia...42km tu...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ijam, korang 21k tu geli2 ajer hehehe. Aku dah "ter"klik 42km for SCSM lah. 2 weeks after Penang Bridge. Aku buat half kot kat Penang. Habis lutut aku nak lari 2 full Marathon in 2 weeks time :)

    ReplyDelete